I like Fred Thompson. I think the guy is a terrific actor. I can see why the very right wing of the Republican party is courting him — enough for him to give up his job on Law & Order.
Here’s what I’ve found out about where he stands on the issues:
- Abortion – He voted against abortion on three different occasions.
- Gay Rights – He voted against adding sexual orientation to the hate crimes bill and he is against gay marriage.
- Death Penalty – He’s for it.
- Privatizing Social Security – For
- Gun Control – He voted on more than one occasion to eliminate background checks at gun shows.
- Voted for the war in Iraq.
Now, I like Fred Thompson. I think he’d be a great guy to sit and chew the fat with over ice tea on a hot summer day on the back porch, but I’m not so sure I want him to be the next president. Although, I think he’s got a pretty good shot at winning.
First, the man’s from Tennessee. He’s a southern boy and southern voters like voting for one of their own. Second, he plays a very likable character on TV. A lot of people associate actors and actresses on-screen characters with their real life character. Heck, even I like the guy based on nothing more than his movie and TV parts. I’ve never seen him play a character I didn’t like. I don’t have much else to go on. Third, he’s not a Washington insider, which has been a bonus for candidates lately. Finally (but only because I’m running out of time), he’s a protestant, which is always good for business for a presidential candidate.
But, you should make up your own mine. Do the research and decide if you’ll offer him your support.